The skyrocketing price of Platinum Group Metals has spurred an increase in catalytic converter thefts nationally and locally, so the White Plains Police Department is encouraging vehicle owners to take the necessary precautions to help prevent such crimes.
Three cases of catalytic converter thefts were reported last week, bringing the total number of cases to eight since late December of 2020. Most vehicles targeted were Honda models.
The White Plains Police Department recommends following these tips to help prevent the theft of catalytic converters:
- Park in a garage or other secured area when possible.
- Park in a well lit area or near motion lights.
- Park in view of security or other cameras.
- Avoid leaving vehicle unattended in public places for long periods of time.
- Consider having your repair shop engrave your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) onto your catalytic converter. Engraving can help deter thefts and help in the recovery and apprehension of thieves who steal catalytic converters.
- Install a catalytic converter shield or protection device that is approved for your vehicle make and model.
- Install and utilize a vehicle alarm system that detects vibration.
- Call police immediately at (914) 422-6111 to report any suspicious activity.