Video surveillance and security video have been and will continue to be an invaluable asset in assisting police departments with criminal investigations. Much of this video has come from private businesses and residents who maintain video security systems for their own personal protection, as well as to safeguard their property. The ability for police departments to identify the locations of these systems and to review footage in a timely manner is key to successful criminal investigations and apprehension of criminals.
The goal of the CommunityCam Program is to deter crime, enhance investigative capabilities and promote public safety through collaboration between the White Plains Police Department and the communities we serve.
Residents and businesses may voluntarily register the location of their video security systems with the police department to help deter and investigate crime in their neighborhoods.
Registration is simple and only takes a few minutes. You need to provide basic contact information and where the cameras are located.
There is no cost for registration and your personal information is not made public.
Once you complete the registration process, a member from the Department will contact you by telephone to request a visit to your residence/business to verify the information you have provided.
After your video surveillance equipment is registered, the White Plains Police Department will only contact you if there is a criminal incident in the vicinity of your security cameras. Police personnel may request to view and copy video images captured by your camera(s) to assist in the investigation of a crime.
The White Plains Police Department will not have remote, live, or any other access to your surveillance/security system without your express consent.
You may cancel your registration at any time by sending an e mail to: email@example.com
For residents and businesses that register, you may also request a security review of your property for safety and security tips.
The goal of the White Plains CommunityCam Program is to promote public safety in collaboration between the White Plains Police Department and the residents and businesses of White Plains. All registrants agree to the following terms and conditions:
- When necessary, the WPPD will contact you directly using the information you have provided to obtain video surveillance video from your system.
- Any video material collected by the WPPD related to criminal investigations can be used as evidence during any stage of a criminal proceeding.
- All video footage shall remain the property of the registrant until it is requested and collected from the registrant by the WPPD.
- Your voluntary participation in this program shall not be construed as an obligation to release and surveillance footage to the WPPD.
- Under no circumstances shall registrants construe they are acting as an agent or employee of the City of White Plains and/or the White Plains Police Department.
- You agree not to release any video or pictures images to the media / members of the press without first consulting with the White Plains Police Department.
Thank you in advance for your participation and cooperation in this program, and for helping us make our city a safer place for everyone