Fire, Fire Safety|

According to the United States Fire Administration, more than one-fifth of residential fires are related to the use of supplemental room heaters – wood- and coal-burning stoves, kerosene heaters, gas space heaters and electric heaters – so, before you put logs in the fireplace or plug in the electric heater, take some precautions. And never use an oven or stove to help heat your home.

  • Have fuel burning household heating equipment (fireplaces, furnaces, water-heaters, wood & coal stoves, space or portable heaters) and chimneys inspected by professionals every year before cold weather sets in.
  • When purchasing new heating equipment select products tested and labeled by an independent laboratory with automatic shut-offs. Have them installed by a qualified technician.
  • Always follow manufacturer’s instructions when turning a heating device on or off.
  • Never use an oven to heat your home.
  • When using a fireplace, open flue for adequate ventilation.
  • Never burn trash in a fireplace.
  • Place ashes outdoors in a covered metal container at least 3 feet from a combustible. Don’t set the container on a wood porch.
  • Always use a fireplace screen made of sturdy metal or heat tempered glass.
  • Keep portable space heaters at least 3 feet away from a combustible.
  • Check the cord on electric space heaters for cracks or fraying.
  • Never use an extension cord with portable electric heaters.
  • Portable space heaters should be turned off every time you leave a room or go to bed.
  • Kerosene or Propane heaters for the purpose of domestic heating use are illegal in the City of White Plains.
  • Install Carbon Monoxide detectors inside your home to provide early warning of accumulating carbon monoxide. They should be installed near heating equipment and in a central location outside each separate sleeping areas.
  • Follow manufacturer’s instructions regarding testing and replacing of carbon monoxide detectors.

Comments are closed.

Close Search Window